IELTS is the worlds most popular International Exam, and this book has everything, keeping its popular topic based approach plus new material aimed at helping students succeed in their future studies.
With its increased focus on academic skills, this updated version of Focus on IELTS not only prepares students for the IELTS examination but also equips them with the tools that they need for success once they enter academic life. Focus on IELTS new edition maintains its popular topic based approach but has been thoroughly revised and now contains new material including sections on academic vocabulary and style, critical thinking and reflective learning. There is thorough exam skills training and graded practice to help students’ pass the exam.
• New Critical Thinking and Reflective Learning training helps students become more analytical and therefore more effective as learners.
• New Academic Vocabulary sections systematically build up students’ knowledge of the all-important Academic Word List.
• New Academic Style sections focus on key aspects of academic English, and develop students’ ability to achieve an appropriately formal style.
• The Key Language Bank provides a reference tool and extra practice activities to help students build their vocabulary and knowledge of grammar.
• An expanded Writing Practice Bank provides model answers and additional writing practice for both Tasks 1 and 2.
• Error Hit Lists help students eliminate common errors from their work.
• Additional exam practice is available on the interactive iTest on the CD-ROM.
Focus on IELTS New Edition Reviews:
This book is probably best used in a class, but might help self-study too. Behind the trite TEFL unit headings (`A sporting chance’, `It goes with the job’, `Family values’, etc.), there are plenty of topics that should keep students interested, such as animal rights, the environment, architecture, smoking, the Internet and mobile phones. The text is clear, bright and attractively laid out. Photos, illustrations and diagrams all look sharp, modern and dynamic. In some course books, visuals can dominate or confuse the text. Not here. It’s as easy on the patience as it is on the eye. The supplementary materials at the back are very good, including an academic word list, writing practices, and a great grammar guide.
I teach IELTS and simply don’t have time to prepare every lesson from scratch, so I found this textbook very useful. It’s clearly laid out with interesting subjects and appropriate visuals. I also found it very focused towards the exam with lots of exercises practising essential skills such as skimming and scanning, recording key academic vocabulary etc.
Focus on IELTS has long been a popular choice for teachers and it’s easy to see why. There’s a good balance between authentic Academic IELTS test items and meaningful group exercises, while the inclusion of a grammar reference guide and extra writing practice make this a solid friend for classroom use. The new edition corrects most of the mistakes in the first edition and adds more EAP elements such as critical thinking and reflective learning. One remaining drawback is the lack of a version with full answer key and scripts. Also available in a Foundation edition that introduces test practice more gradually. Rating 9/10
There are four sub-tests, or modules, to the IELTS test: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Students must sit all four sub-tests. While all students take the same Listening and Speaking tests, they sit different Reading and Writing tests, depending on whether they have selected the Academic IELTS test or the General Training IELTS test.