Friday the 13th occurs when the thirteenth day of a month falls on Friday, which superstition holds to be a day of good or bad luck. In the Gregorian calendar, this day occurs at least once, but at most three times a year. Any month’s 13th day will fall on a Friday if the month starts on a Sunday. In 2009 this applies to the months of February, March, and November. The next instance of this appears on the calendar for the year 2015. There is at least one Friday the 13th in every calendar year. The longest period that can occur without a Friday the 13th is fourteen months, either from July to September the following common year.
Phobia,The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia, a word derived from the concatenation of the Greek words Paraskeví (meaning Friday), and dekatreís (meaning thirteen), attached to phobia (meaning fear). The term triskaidekaphobia derives from the Greek words “tris”, meaning ‘three’, “kai”, meaning ‘and’, and “deka”, meaning ‘ten’. the whole word means three and ten. The word was derived in 1911 and first appeared in a mainstream source in 1953.
One historical theory states that it is a modern amalgamation of two older superstitions: that thirteen is an unlucky number and that Friday is an unlucky day.
In numerology, the number twelve is considered the number of completeness, as reflected in the twelve months of the year, twelve signs of the zodiac, twelve hours of the clock, twelve tribes of Israel, twelve Apostles of Jesus, twelve gods of Olympus, etc., whereas the number thirteen was considered irregular, transgressing this completeness.
There is also a superstition, thought by some to derive from the Last Supper or a Norse myth, that having thirteen people seated at a table will result in the death of one of the diners.
Friday has been considered an unlucky day at least since the 14th century’s The Canterbury Tales, and many other professions have regarded Friday as an unlucky day to undertake journeys or begin new projects. Black Friday has been associated with stock market crashes and other disasters since the 1800s. It has also been suggested that Friday has been considered an unlucky day because, according to Christian scripture and tradition, Jesus was crucified on a Friday.
Some events are intentionally scheduled for Friday the 13th for dramatic effect.
· Resident Evil 5 was released in the US and UK on Friday March 13th 2009.
· ’SAW – The Ride’ at Thorpe Park, UK opened on March 13th 2009. Coincidentally the ride was marred by ‘teething problems’ for the first few days after it was opened
· Black Sabbath’s eponymous début album was released in the UK on Friday, Feb.13 1970.
· The Opening ceremony of Athens Olympic Games took place on Friday, August 13,2004.
·The 13th book in ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’ was released on Friday, October 13, 2006 by Lemony Snicket, also known as novelist Daniel Handler.
· The 2009 film “2012” was released on Friday Nov. 13th 2009.
Events that have been notable for being linked to the concept of Friday the 13th include:
· Andes Plane Crash of 1972
· Hurricane Charley made landfall in south Florida on Friday August 13, 2004.
· The “Friday the 13th Storm” struck Buffalo, New York on Friday, October 13, 2006.
· The asteroid 2004 MN4 will make its close encounter on Friday, April 13, 2029.